Monday, June 22, 2009

*Misty and Lucas you will be missed*

I got a call Saturday night that I never expected to get. Its the type of call that just brings you to your knees and makes you cry. My friend Misty who was 26 wks pregnant with a boy named Lucas had a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot that went to her lungs) while at her home on Saturday morning. Her husband Jake found her in their laundry room and called 911. He said he knew she was gone at that point. They took her to Pioneer Valley Hospital where they revived her for about an hour. Lucas had already passed away at this point. They transferred her to IMC where she slipped into a coma and they had to put her on life support. They did numerous tests to determine her brain function but all tests came back with bad news. She wasn't going to make it. Her husband Jake made the hard decision to take her off life support this morning and she passed away around 12:30pm.

I met Misty back in 2001 when I was introduced to her through her brother whom I was friends with. She was such a joy to be around. Always thinking of the positive things in life and other people. She strived to do things for others before doing things for herself. I lived with them for a few months years back and it was just like we were sisters, we even fought like sisters lol. Jake and Misty got married August 23, 2004 and it was a day to remember. She wore an amazing dress, had a beautiful cake, flowers and I caught the bouquet :) She and Jakes love was unlike anything I had ever seen before. They loved each other unconditionally and always went out of their way to show each other. I always thought they were so cheesy! Writing each other love notes, doing sweet things, it was a match made in heaven. They later were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on January 13, 2007. From the time they got married they talked about having children but wanted to wait until the "right" time. Well when they decided the right time had come they had a hard time conceiving. This was something i completely related to. We spoke often of the fertility testing we both underwent, tips and tricks we learned along the way and I happened to conceive first. They kept trying and two days before Delilah was born they found out they were expecting their first child. I remember finding out after I had Delilah and i was beyond thrilled! I called her and we just laughed and talked and made plans about having "mommy dates" and how our kids would grow up and we would be right there watching them. They found out in May that they were having a boy that they were going to name Lucas. They were beyond happy! And so was I. Her due date was September 21, 2009. I wish we spoke more, I wish we saw each other more. My heart just aches for her family, especially her wonderful husband Jake. He is such a strong and loving man. She couldn't have married a man more well suited for her. Her family is know stranger to tragedy as her father passed away as she was a child, her grandmother a few years ago and most recently her uncle. This family has been stricken with one piece of bad news after another. And they are such great people. As many of you know I am not a very religious person but i do believe someone must have a bigger plan for this family.

Delilah got blessed yesterday (i will post about this later) and after the luncheon at our home Scott and I went to the ICU to see Misty. I was hoping it would not be the last time i touched her or kissed her forehead. I could do nothing more than just cry. To see my friend lying there helpless and lifeless and her family so sad just broke my heart. We all cried, hugged and hoped for the best. During this time Delilah was with my mom as she was not allowed in the ICU. After we left Scott took me home and I asked him if i could just be alone. i just needed to cry. I still need to cry. He went to his parents for fathers day and my families as well to see them and pick up our beautiful daughter. She has been doing so well lately but last night she woke up about every hour or two just crying. She wasn't awake and i would go in and speak to her and she would go back to sleep. This morning she has been fussy and inconsolable. Then around 12:20pm a little before i got word that Misty had passed Lilah calmed right down and fell asleep. It was if she knew exactly what was going on and when she knew that Misty and Lucas were feeling no more pain and were with their heavenly father she could rest. She has been happy since.
Jake has a hard road ahead of him but the comforting part is that Misty is raising Lucas and will be watching over him always. I want to let the Andrews and Lee families know how much i care for them and they will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

Mollie and Jason said...

This was a nice little tribute. It is so sad. Misty and her little boy are in a much better place. I am sorry to heqr about this.

Ryane said...

I am so sorry Jesse. This is awful!

Marisa Jean said...

Oh Jessica, that's so awful. I wish the best for you, and her husband. I had a cousin die two weeks ago unexpectedly, too. So sorry! :(