Sunday, January 24, 2010

*this time last year*

I had been waiting for this exact day last year for my entire life, ok well mainly just 9 months. Lets do a little recap of the prior weeks for fun :)


On December 1, 2008 I went to my regular dr appointment and did my glucose test. The glucose test came back normal but my blood pressure was extremely high so this was the official first day of my 8 week bed rest. Being put on bed rest at 29wks is no ones idea of fun. I didn't have her room quite finished, her clothes were not washed and folded and I was no where near ready to just sit in bed. At to top it all off I hadn't even started my Christmas shopping! Thank god for amazon.com and its super saver shipping! As the weeks went on my health worsened and at every doctor appointment we crossed out fingers that i could make it one more week. At 32 weeks I had an ultrasound to check on things and it was determined that the amniotic fluid was low and her growth had slowed. This meant that now instead of just one doctor appointment per week i had 4. Three times a week I had to go have non stress tests and fluid checks and then once a week I had to see my doctor. Every week that went by got us one step closer to our new addition not having a NICU stay. We got to 35 wks and my blood pressure was dangerously high, the amniotic fluid was continuing to lower and my body continued to swell. Life was hell but it was hell for the best reason in the world, our little girl. At this appointment my doctor scheduled me for an induction at 37wks because she felt my life and possibly Delilahs life could be in jeopardy although she thought I would deliver before this date came. When looking at the calender I was 37wks EXACTLY on January 24. Normally this would be no big deal, just another day right? Well if you thought that then you were wrong! This was the day before my own birthday. I WAS SCHEDULED TO HAVE MY BABY THE DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY! I was very nervous that she wouldn't come that day and that we would share a birthday. To me it wasn't a big deal but what child wants to share their special day with their old lame mom?!
My original due date was February 14, 2009 and I had a few baby showers scheduled before that time. I had one on January 17th with my friends and by this time I was just hoping i would make it while still pregnant. At my shower my friend Raychel asked when I was going to do maternity pictures. I believe my exact words were "There is no way in hell I am doing any". The next day these were taken...
I'm very happy she talked me into it, well actually just told me she was coming over because now I look back and completely would have regretted not doing any. Yes I was large, yes I had stretch marks, yes I was swollen and self conscious but for some reason well doing them I felt more confident and beautiful than i ever have.
I went into the hospital on January 24, 2009 was started on pitocin at 9am. When I came into the hospital I was only dilated to almost a 2 and knew this was going to be a very long day. The day went on and so did the contractions, getting worse every time. By 3pm I was only dilated to a 4 so I got my epidural and had my water broke. That had to be one of the strangest feelings ever. It was like you couldn't stop peeing only you weren't peeing because you had a catheter in and couldn't. For them thinking my fluid was low it sure seemed like gallons were coming out of me! Things progressed a bit more but at 9pm my epidural wore off and I never realized how much pain a person could be in. I had more meds given but it wasn't helping. I had to a 3 more bolus's of pain meds through my epidural and each time it only numbed from my thighs down. What good was that??? My child wasn't coming out my knee cap! Lets just say they call it the "ring of fire" for a damn good reason! I watched the clock tick on and at midnight I realized Delilah and I would share a birthday.......

1 comments:

Mollie and Jason said...

Happy Birthday Jes and Lilah!!!