Delilahs pulmonologist finally called me yesterday with the results from her pH probe study. It said that she refluxes 8% of the time in a 24 hr period and 6.8% of that time she refluxed to the top of her throat. I know that 8% doesn't sound like a lot but the "normal" is less than 1%. They attach a "total score" to the test and the average reflux baby scores a 16 but she was a 33. So, to not overdo the long boring statistics she has severe refulx. Her pulm is now very concerned about her aspirating. Funny, cuz i was very concerned about her aspirating before the test was done! She is having us stay on all her meds and we see GI in August to decide what options we have regarding treatment. Her pulm is sure they will talk to us about doing surgery but we are very hesitant to do that. The "surgery" that she would need is a nissen which is where they close off the flap in your stomach that allows anything to go back up into the throat which would mean she would need a G-tube so her stomach could be vented (or she could be burped). A nissen would never allow her to burp or vomit. It is also irreversible as i understand it. If her lung damage is severe we will definitely have to consider it but I want them to do a bronchioscopy (where they take part of the lung tissue and test it) to see the extent of the damage before ever consenting to do it. She has not had a cyaniotic episode in 3 weeks now, knock on wood!!! We have stopped giving her all the rice cereal and are using a product called Simply Thick which is a gel thickening agent that has no milk or soy in it. I think even with the hypoallergenic formula she is still reacting to the milk protein and we might have to switch to an amino acid based formula that contains no milk protein or soy. Her allergies and reflux have made starting solids very hard! She wants to have food and I'm sure shes ready but when we started them about a month ago it made her reflux worse so we stopped. She definitely not starved though :) Ive read that reflux starts to improve around 4-6 months so I am hopeful that hers will start to get better but it seems like its just getting worse. I just hope the GI doc will have more options for us before jumping right to surgery.
On a lighter note Delilah had her first camping and boating experience over the 24th. We went to Solider Creek with the Snells and had a great time. When we got there on Friday it was raining and in the 60's! Saturday it warmed up to about 70 something. It was so nice to escape from the heat :) Delilah didn't like sleeping in the pack and play so she was up most of the night until we just put her on the fold out bed between us. It made sleeping impossible! On Saturday Scott got her a barbie life jacket at the marina and she was so not excited to wear it! She just scowled the whole time on the boat, until she fell asleep. She then slept on the way back to camp and for another good hour or so after. I guess when I have issues with her sleeping we just need to take her for a boat ride lol! I will post some pics later when I have time to actually sit and upload the photos.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
*the results are in*
Posted by The Snells at 11:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
I agree with you that it is sad that you had to put your little girl through all that just so her Dr's would start taking you more seriously.
Just be glad she will never remember any of it. ;)
Post a Comment