Saturday, February 13, 2010

*more and more infections*

Delilah has had many issues with many different things since she was born a year ago but ear infections was not on that list, until this past December. Out of the blue she got a double ear infection that did not respond to one treatment (10 days) of antibiotic so she had to have another stronger one which did kick it just in time for her surgery. We thought it was just a fluke thing but a few wks after her surgery she was pulling at her ears again. I felt as though it was related to her recovery so just brushed it off. On our birthday I was beginning to think it was something more so we went in and sure enough another ear infection was gracing us with its presence. The antibiotic kicked it but she never stopped playing with her ears or screaming when she laid flat.

This past weekend Scott went on a day/night snowmobiling trip and on Saturday I started to not feel well but just thought it was stress and that night i woke up with a cough, chills and a fever of 103. This is not normal at all for me and since it was just me and Lilah I took some motrin and tylenol and made my way through the night. Sunday morning I woke up and still had a fever and just felt sick...sick enough i felt like i needed to go to either the instacare or ER but since Scott wasn't home and I didn't want to take Lilah I waited. When he got home later that night i went off to the Instacare thinking I probably had a urinary tract inf but after a chest xray i was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia. I literally felt like i had been hit by a truck and each day was worse then the day before. Monday night Lilah started with a high fever and cough so i took her to the instacare and she was AGAIN diagnosed with an ear inf. I didn't trust the ER dr so much so the following day i got her into see her pediatrician. It turns out she actually had a double ear inf and it was the worst one her dr has seen with her so far and we ended up having to do rocephin antibiotic shots for 3 days in a row. With me sick and her it made for a long week. Her dr thought that it was time for tubes for her ears and since we already had an appt that fri (2/12) we would bring it up.

I took Lilah to the ENT and everything looked great from her surgery and when i brought up tubes he was very hesitant. He said he felt like her reflux was not under control as well as we thought it was and that was the reason for the sudden spike in infections. He wants us to up her med dosage and add another medication to hopefully suppress the acid enough that she will not continue to get fluid in her ears. Now we are at another crossroads. We really felt like we had found the ONE MEDICATION that was helping and she was doing well on but we were wrong. Looking back i should have picked up on the little signs like her naps not being very long, crying everytime i lay her down (even to change her diaper), having the hiccups often and not wanting to eat much. We have already tried so many medications that there really isn't much left to try. At one we are supposed to be excited about no more formula and giving her french fries and chicken nuggets and mac an cheese and whatever else we feel like that day but instead she is still on Neocate with no end in sight, still unable to have many solids and still is having reactions to many new foods. Its just frustrating to think you finally have the upper hand with all this just to be told everything you thought is wrong. again.

I know like everything we will get past this too and find something that works but the interm is what is driving me crazy!

2 comments:

Meg said...

We may be on the same track with the ear infections! I thought Reed was good after 10 days on anti-biotics but sure enough, he still had a double ear infection after 5 days after he finished the meds. So he's on a second round, hopefully they work.

Side note, the doc wanted us to give him some probiotics to help with the ear - what the heck are they and where do I get them?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer said...

No fun :( Hope the both of you recover fast. I'm sure you are thinking What's next???