Tuesday, February 10, 2009

*First Dr Visit*

Delilah had her first visit with her pediatrician today. Its kind of fun to take her in there (when shes not sick!) because it is at the office that I used to work at. I am still good friends with a few people that work there which makes it nice to visit them :) Her dr did the usual check of everything and she got weighed and measured. She also got her heel poked for her second PKU and didn't even cry!! I have such a tough girl :) She is doing great and developing on time but I did find out what I had feared, that I am not producing enough breastmilk for her to only breastfeed. I really wanted to just breastfeed but the dr said that I need to supplement her with formula after each feed. If she is really tired and I have to wake her to feed then I just have to give her a bottle. I have nothing against formula but I was just really hoping to be able to just breastfeed her. So for now I'm going to start taking Fenugreek, which is an herbal supplement that my dr recommended, that is supposed to help stimulate your body into making more milk. I am also going to pump and give her what I can so she is at least getting some breastmilk. Its normal for a baby to gain 1 oz a day the first few weeks and she has been gaining just over 1/2 oz a day so she needs more than I can give her alone. Oh well, its only a small bump in the road, right!?!! Plus, I know Scott likes to help feed her :)


These are her measurements:

Height: 19 1/2 in, which puts her in the 20th percentile *she was 19 in at birth*

Weight: 5 lbs 14.2 oz, which puts her below the 5% percentile so she isn't even on the charts yet! *she was 5 lbs 15 oz at birth*

Head: 35 cm, which puts her in the 25th percentile *her head was 33.5 cm at birth*

Because she isn't gaining weight as quickly as they would like we have to go back next Tuesday for a weight check. Since my camera is still away being fixed (yes it has been almost 2 months and I'm very annoyed!) here is a pic of her with my phone again. She loves her bouncer but she is too small to fit in it right so we bundle her and don't put her legs through the leg holes lol! It works for us :)


1 comments:

Elise&Mike said...

Sounds like what happened with me! They said pump what you can so you can see how much shes getting then do the rest in formula!

It all works out :) But I know its kinda disapointing huh...

Soon she will be a chunky little thing you wait! and you will wonder how she was ever that tiny. hehehe :D

GOod luck!!