Friday, April 23, 2010

*EARTH DAY! what did you do?*

Since I was little I never really cared about Earth Day. It seemed like a silly holiday, if it even was a holiday. Well as i got older and was in school we planted trees on earth day, learned more about pollution and how to prevent it, to not throw your netting away before cutting them up, etc, etc. I just found it to be a bunch of tree-hugger stuff honestly. I also thought that eating organically was just expensive and not necessary and that whole foods stores were just beyond overpriced and carried strange things. Now after I have had Delilah that's all i think about! I want her to eat healthy and unfortunately she cant eat much so what she does eat i want to be organic so she can get the most of the food and NONE of the pesticides or fillers. About 80% of her snacks i get are organic like Healthy Times Teething Biscuits and Annie's Strawberry fruit snacks. These have been some of the only things that she can eat that isn't fresh fruit and some veggies.



So besides feeding Delilah (and trying to buy for ourselves to get healthier) we are also cloth diapering and using cloth wipes. This has been more of a forced thing but before Delilah was born I wanted to cloth diaper and Scott was very against it so I didn't push the issue since I was doing so well with couponing and was getting ALL my huggies jumbo/mega packs of the little movers for $2 and under per PACK!! Yes it can be done and i did it for 128 liners for only $27 and FREE shipping!! What a steal of a deal! Its so good of a deal i ordered 3 packs of 4!! So if you are looking into cloth diapering but don't know where to start gdiapers are great since they are a hybrid which means you can either use the flushable liners (yes they do flush and DON'T clog your system) and/or compost the wet liners or you can use the cloth liners.
months! I bet for the first year of Delilahs life we only spent maybe $75 on diapers. It was such a great savings since I was staying at home and not brining in much, then stopped bringing in anything alltogether. It was right at this point that Delilah kept getting rashes from her disposible diapers so we switched to gdiapers (gpants and flushable liners) . Unfortunately The gpants and liners are pricey to get started and when you have to do it all of a sudden it was a mad dash to try to find deals or just get some to use. I found some at amazon and Babies R us. I was getting each pack of liners (32ct) for $14.99 a pack and she would go through about 1-2 packs a week!!!! OUCH! going from free diapers to this was a big shock to our budget! I was looking around and found on Amazon.com that they had the flushable liners that come in a 4 pack for $45 then if you do their subscribe and save you get 15% off and selected gdiaper products are 25% off so I got

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with all this stuff I started using the gcloth which is a bit more work but its so much savings that i don't even care! The only bad part is i still need a few things like a pail liner and a wet bag (to put the dirty diapers in while on the go) so I'm not quite done getting my "stash" together.

Since we were "going green" we decided to look into 7th generation cleaners and     lucky me I found them at Babies R Us while i was picking up some gliners. I found them for $1.98 a piece and it was buy one get one 50% off so the next one was $.99. I also found a rebate that for earth day if you buy 3 cleaners you get $5 back by mail. Talk about a money maker!! Needless to say I did a few of these. And an even better thing was I had $1.00 coupons for every bottle which made the bottles after the rebate $.50!!! And i thought going green was expensive! I gave my mom all my chemical cleaners and now have a stockpile of  "green" cleaners...I think i have over 30 bottles! lol!! I'm set for quite a while :)

So this year Earth Day meant a lot more to me as I actually have been doing things to help out with the "going green" campaign. You don't have to be a hippy do to this! I shave my armpits and still cloth diaper..see its ok! I hope everyone had a great Earth Day and that they are doing all they can, even if its one minor thing like recycling their cans or newspapers, because the Earth will thank you!

If anyone has any questions in any of the things i talked about I would LOVE to talk to you more about it!!! you can just email me at simplysnell@hotmail.com






**Also I want to mention that i absolutely LOVE the links and pics from Amazon now so you can actually see exactly what I'm talking about and go right to amazon to buy it if you are interested!!! What a great idea blogger had to collaborate with Amazon!!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow!! I wish I could say that I'm as good to the earth as you are. We do the recycle thing just cause we have two garbage cans. :)