Since we did allergy testing last March we were told to do some food trials. As of today her "Safe" and "Fail" foods are as follows:
SAFE:
Apples (organic) gala or fuji
Pears
Peaches
Grapes (prefers red over green)
Celery
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Pineapple
Apricots
Cucumbers
Rold Gold Pretzels
Healthy Times Apple Puffs
Healthy Times Teething Biscuits
Annie's Organic Honey Grahams
Annie's Organic Strawberry Fruit Snacks
Fruit Leather (organic)
Neocate Nutra (used as her rice cereal)
Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
Earths Balance Dairy/Soy Free Butter
Trix
Kix
Coconut Oil (used for baking and as a good lotion for her eczema)
Chicken (but she hates it)
Neocate
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Fails:
Rice Cereal (all brands)
White Rice
White Potatoes
Zucchini
Sweet Potatoes
Potato Flakes (as an ingredient in foods)
Soy (even soy oils)
Dairy (every kind including Whey, Casein, lactulose, etc)
Lactose
Green Beans
Peas
Carrots
Turkey
Bananas
Nutramigen Formula
Enfamil Formula
Butter
Looking at this list it appears there are many more foods she CAN eat as opposed to NOT eat although you have to look closely at what she cannot eat...DAIRY, SOY, BANANAS (including flavorings), POTATOES, etc...those are ingredients that are in most everything in some form. Shopping for her takes me a good hour to get maybe 10 things just because I have to read EVERY SINGLE LABEL! Now I'm used to it and can spot "hidden" ingredients easier like casein for dairy, etc but its taken me months to get to this point. I literally cannot go shopping with her by myself so I usually plan her shopping when I can drop her off at my moms or grandmas or when someone can come with me. I had never shopped at Whole Foods and Good Earth (except for vitamins and supplements) before my little allergy child came along but now I'm getting good at knowing where things are and what she can have from each store :) You never think when you have a child that you may have to deal with this. You think there may be a possibility of a peanut allergy but that's about it. You also never think you will have to deal with blue spells and severe reflux either though! Each month she gets another month older it reminds me of where I was this time last year.....
This time last year we had just gotten her reflux diagnosis but the doctors still didn't believe us that it was truly a big issue. We had also been using the apnea monitor for 2 months now and it was starting to reveal to us that she was allergic to latex and adhesives as she was getting horrible blisters from it.
Just thinking back on all of that brings back so many feelings of hopelessness and feeling lost. I am so thankful that Scott felt that I knew what was best and followed my sometimes strange ideas of treatment. Like putting her on a formula her doctors kept telling me NOT to try and getting on a medication that was NOT labeled for use in pediatric patients. We had to have faith in ourselves that we were making the best decisions for our little girl because at the time we felt the medical community was not making those right decisions.






1 comments:
Just popped in to see how you guys are doing. Sorry to hear that you are still dealing with allergies and such, but it sounds like you're dealing well with it and finding strength you didn't know you had. Your positive outlook will take you a long way. :)
So glad Delilah is feeling better, too! She's a lucky girl to have such a good mommy that kept searching for the right answers! :)
I hope her list of safe food will continue to grow! Best wishes to you all!!!
Becky
Must Follow Recipes
Post a Comment