Friday, March 12, 2010

*some medical issues for the momma*

Things lately for me have been, shall we say, shitty. Recently I had decided to make an appointment to see a dermatologist for a skin check as I have never actually had one and Ive done my fair share of "fake baking" back in the day. Years ago me and a friend of mine would go tanning on our lunch break...then get subway to even things out. We were exposing ourselves to cancerous rays but eating a healthy sub with light mayo so that was ok, right?! Wrong. I went in to have a small cyst on my nose looked at and removed, which it was and it no longer looks as though I have a perma-zit on my left nostril. Hooray for lidocaine and razor blades! While I was there they did a full body skin check and the dermatologist noticed a "strange" mole on my left hip and had me schedule an appointment to get it removed the following week.

February 18th, the dreaded mole removal day came and my grandparents came by to watch Lilah while I went. I got back in my room, undressed and was ready for the fun to begin! It was numbed with lidocaine (like my nose was) which feels like a bee sting, then she took an instrument that looked like a hole punch for scrapbooking a with one push of the punch the mole was now sitting in a specimen container and the suturing began. The first part was quick...but the sutures kept coming. The final count was 5 internal and 5 external. Can you say OUCH! The following week one of the sutures came undone so back to the dr I went and received steri strips to ride out the remainder of the time it needed to heal. About 10 days later I got the results in the mail...it came back as an atypical precancerous melanoma. Seeing the CANCER word scared the crap out of me that I had to read it a few times just to make sure I was ok. I'm so glad I went in to get my cyst removed on my nose because if I were to have waited say a few more years to get my skin checked or not cared about the cyst on my nose i would have ended up with melanoma. Good thing I am vain and wanted my perma zit removed!



Two weeks later the fun kept on going as I went in on March 5th for more cortisone injections in my back. This was the second time i have had these and it wasn't any easier than the first time. Tevin drove me there (yep he is 15 yrs old and has his learners permit!!!) and as we waited i grew more and more anxious. Last time I didn't really know what to expect so i didn't know what to be anxious about but this time the thought of that 7inch long straw like needle going into my lower back made me think twice. As soon as I could I asked for some Versed (I got 2mg to be exact) and boy did that make things a bit easier :) I got done and after 30min in recovery i was ready to go. I attempted to stand up and started to fall over! I caught myself and sat back down. My legs felt very strange, like they were asleep but the nurse assured me this was normal after having Versed. I tossed it to the side and they wheeled me out to the car. Tevin drove me home and had to help me into the house as I couldn't walk on my own. This didn't happen the first time around but again i didn't have the versed the first time. I got in bed and my left leg felt more and more numb. I started to get worried that maybe they hit a nerve or something and called my dr after my legs had been "asleep" for 3 hrs. He said that some of the lidocaine must have seeped into my S1 nerve and it would wear off soon. Well boy were they wrong. I had the procedure done Friday afternoon and my legs were numb until Sunday morning. It took a while but i have started to feel better! Scott took that weekend to spend with Delilah and waited on me hand and foot! I felt so useless...

0 comments: